ScaleIO-Framework for Apache Mesos
ScaleIO Framework deploys Dell EMC ScaleIO as a simplified task in Apache
Mesos. All the required components to consume and provision storage volumes from
a ScaleIO cluster are automatically deployed and configured on the Mesos Agents.
This creates an automated mechanism to have a fully configured and reliable
persistent storage solution for containers running on Apache Mesos.
- Installs required components on existing Mesos Agents to consume and provision ScaleIO storage volumes
- On-boards new Agent nodes with "native" access to ScaleIO volumes
- All Agent nodes are configured to be highly available so failed applications can be restarted on other Agent nodes while preserving their data using REX-Ray as a container runtime volume driver
- Additional storage can be added to the ScaleIO cluster to expand capacity
What it does
Container runtime schedulers need to be integrated with every aspect of available hardware resources, including persistent storage. When requesting resources for an application the scheduler gets offers for CPU, RAM and disk.
To be able to offer persistent storage in a scalable way, the ScaleIO Framework installs and configures all necessary ScaleIO, a Software-based Storage Platform, components along with all the "glue" to connect Mesos and ScaleIO to service applications requiring persistent storage.
What does the ScaleIO Framework really do under the covers? Up to this point, its been stated that the Framework automates the lifecycle of ScaleIO and any related components required to provision external persistent storage in a "run it and forget it" fashion, but what does that really mean?
The ScaleIO Framework performs the following steps on deployment. It installs and configures:
- Any dependencies required for ScaleIO to run. This is done via apt-get or yum.
- The ScaleIO SDS (or Server) package. This is the service that takes designated disks (physical or virtual) and contributes them to the ScaleIO cluster.
- The ScaleIO SDC (or Client) package. This is the service that provides access to ScaleIO volumes created within the ScaleIO cluster.
- REX-Ray which provides Mesos the ability to provision external storage for tasks that are backed by Docker containers.
- mesos-module-dvdi and DVDCLI which provides Mesos the ability to provision external storage for tasks that using the Mesos Universal Containerizer. This includes any configuration required on the Mesos Agent nodes.
Installation and Configuration
Installation is fairly simple as it only requires a simple
curl command to
deploy the Framework. There are some prerequisites that are required however. You
can find more information on the Installation Page.
There are various configuration options available
as well that will allow you to tune and customize your deployment of ScaleIO.
Looking for a video demo or to get some hands on experience with demo environment? Take a look in the Users Guide section for instructions to quickly prop up an environment quickly.
Having issues? No worries, let's figure it out together.